Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Halloween....

Ahhhh....Halloween.  A subject that is avoided by some, and completely done over the top by others. 
I have friends on both sides of the spectrum, so I hope (and pray) I don't offend any of them.  But I came across this awesome article written by someone who I have a great respect for, that I hope clears up some of the confusion brought on by this "holiday."

http://www.crossroadsinitiative.com/library_article/784/Truth_about_Halloween.html

Here is the link to the article.  It really is a most informative (based on facts, which is something lacking much in this world today) and I think will also do a bit to shed some light on this very controversial celebration. 

In my house, we celebrate Halloween.  Not only in the secular sense of the word, yes, we do the "Americanized" trick or treating, but also in the spiritual sense.  All Hallow's Eve.  The evening before All Saints Day, a day in the Catholic church, where we remember all the saints who have gone before us, and the day after All Saints, All Soul's Day, which is a day we remember every soul who has passed, especially those in the past year (the book of names is at Mass where you can enter the loved ones you want us to pray for).

Before I read this article, the idea of the ghosts and ghouls rather made me nervous.  I would encourage my children to pick "holy" costumes, saints, nice characters, animals, etc etc.  Most of the time my children were very uninterested in anything dark and creepy.  I do still tend to want to encourage them to be positive role models in the Halloween realm, but after reading this, I might be tempted to relax that idea, as long as my children understand why we celebrate this day. 

And wouldn't it figure that the greeting card company would introduce the "witch" into the Halloween party? 

Enjoy- and Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment